Monday, May 27, 2013

Sugar-Free Frenzy

Yes, I did post recently about sugar & how much should be consumed daily. A HUGE thing with me is the "sugar-free frenzy" that seems to be still going on. In the end, I have to say any day that sugar from cane (a plant) is way better for you than "sugar" created in a lab and that is a harmful chemical. Period. And I feel strongly about this, especially in regard to kids. I do not find it necessary for kids to eat or drink anything that is sweetened with the liking of Splenda or NutraSweet. Again, just my (humble) opinion. There are SO many other natural and safe sweeteners your can try- raw, organic honey (even better, have it be manuka honey) or organic maple syrup for starters, or how about coconut sugar or maple sugarEver try them? YUM! Heck, even Oprah has a short list.  And yet another helpful list from Whole Living.    

My newest discovery (literally today), a party pack from SweetLeaf stevia company- coconut, cinnamon & peppermint.  All my favorite flavors, to be kept in my diaper bag for when I'm out and about and need to drop some sweetness into my iced americano.  If you haven't heard of stevia before, or know what it is, here is a fact sheet from their website.  NO calories & from a PLANT (not a manufacturing plant silly, one that grows in the ground), not a chemical.  AMAZING!


The twins had STAR testing at school recently. This is what was sent out to all parents from one of the teachers:

"In the past we have also allowed the students to chew peppermint gum before taking the test. Studies have shown that it gives the children a burst that helps them recall things from their memory. They also get really excited over the novelty of it. I will be providing the gum and of course it will be sugarless. This is optional. If your child is unable to chew gum (braces, retainer, etc.), you may provide mints."

The "of course it will be sugarless" part is hilarious to me. This isn't the first of many unhealthy & confusing things done at this particular school (which thankfully, this is the last year my kids will have to be there). Here are the ingredients in the Dentyne Ice which some kids were given to chew: SORBITOL, GUM BASE, MALTITOL, MANNITOL, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORING, GLYCERIN; LESS THAN 2% OF: ACACIA, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, ASPARTAME, BHT (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), CANDELILLA WAX, SOY LECITHIN, SUCRALOSE AND TITANIUM DIOXIDE (COLOR). PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE


Not one, but two of the top 4 most dangerous artificial sweeteners are in this gum.  If you are even more curious, here is list of the top 10 food ingredients you should avoid, from The Huffington Post. This A to Z list is also pretty helpful if you want more information, from Natural News.

I love the saying "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it". Simple & to the point. Do you know what half those ingredients are? I sure don't. And the thing with gum- you are chewing it over & over & over. All of the ingredients are being swished around & absorbed & forced onto your teeth, tongue (strongest muscle in your body, btw), gums & saliva & you are swallowing it all for as long as you chew that gum.

I'm very aware of which foods should be avoided or eaten rarely.  I feel sugar-free gum is one of them. First and foremost, ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS. There are 2 main offenders in the list above- Acesulfame Potassium (aka Acesulfame-K) and Sucralose (aka Splenda). Here are a few reasons why they should be avoided (source: Life With Greens)-

  • An artificial sweetener 180 times sweeter than sugar and was created in a lab making your body unable to recognize it. 
  • An excitotoxin that encourages free radical growth which accelerates aging and health problems. 
  • Common reported symptoms from artificial sweeteners include: brain cancer, headaches, migraines, sleep problems, hallucinations, memory loss, nausea, dizziness, hives, seizures, cramps, rash, fatigue, diarrhea, joint pain and more! 
  • Stimulates the release of insulin and leptin — hormones which instruct your body to store fat. 
  • Chemicals in artificial sweeteners break down into formaldehyde and get absorbed by your small intestine. 
Needless to say, for the STAR testing I mentioned above I sent the twins to school with gum sweetened with Xylitol called, Spry. A sweetener with no harmful side effects. WE have been chewing it for years. Yes, it loses it's flavor quicker than most gum, but then again, I don't think it was meant to be chewed all day. Xylitol is actually GOOD for your teeth!

I find this interesting and you may too! Did you know that NON sugar-free gum usually contains both sugar AND artificial sweeteners??  Bet you didn't! I mean, I didn't until I started reading the ingredients while waiting at the check out line at Target. 

For example, Wrigley's Doublemint Gum contains the following: 

Sugar, Gum Base, Dextrose, Corn Syrup, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Contains less than 22% of Glycerol, Aspartame, Arabic Gum, Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame K, Color(s), Titanium Dioxide, Blue 1 Lake, Beta Carotene, BHT.

6 of those ingredients being controversial. My question is, if sugar is the main ingredient (ingredients are listed in order of quantity in the product), why is it necessary to add not one but two artificial sweeteners (aspartame & acesulfame k) to this gum, that is NOT labeled as sugar-free???



The best was when my daughter wanted to chew Big League Chew this softball season, because all of the other girls on her team were. Well, here are the ingredients for this very popular gum too:
Sugar, Gum Base, Corn Syrup, Glycerol, Less than 2% of: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Tartaric Acid, Soy Lecithin, Citric Acid, Colors (Red 40 Lake, Blue 1 Lake), Acesulfame K, Aspartame, Corn Starch, BHT (to Maintain Freshness).


Another place where not so good ingredients & artificial ingredients are lurking-Children's Tylenol! Yup. Read the back of the box or bottle if you have some. We keep some on hand for EXTREME circumstances, but try to avoid at all costs. We never give this sort of "medicine" for a fever, as a fever is the body's way of killing the very germs that are invading your body (see here)! Yup, its true. Granted, use caution. A HIGH fever must be addressed, but there are many natural ways to lower a fever without the use of Tylenol.

list of ingredients here:
anhydrous citric acid, butylparaben, FD&C Red no.40, flavors, glycerin, high fructose corn syrup, microcrystalline cellulose and carboxymethylcellulose sodium, propylene glycol (yes, the same ingredient in your anti-freeze folks), purified water, sodium benzoate, sorbitol solution, sucralose, xanthan gum.

See how they snuck that sucralose (aka splenda) there??? Can't get one past me! Not to mention, have you read the list of "warnings" that come with this type of product?

Long story short, it saddens me that so many products marketed to & for kids, like Big League Chew & Children's Tylenol contain such potentially harmful ingredients. Oh and you can't forget to add children's toothpaste to the list.  (side note: I searched & searched online for a list of ingredients in Colgate kids toothpaste, or one similar.  None to be found. If I want an ingredient list, I have to submit a request.  For me, if a company does not have FULL DISCLOSURE about that is included in their products, I will never, ever purchase them. Period.)  


How does all of this make you feel??


*All I want to do is share.  I'm not here to judge or say you are wrong and I am right.  That is never my intention.  Perhaps by learning something new, I have helped you in some way, shape or form.  

No comments:

Post a Comment